The press release below was sent out Monday, June 22nd, 2015 regarding the current status of the removal of the MV Miner.
The final piece of the wreck of the MV Miner was removed today, June 22, from the coast of Scaterie Island, an environmentally protected area near the Cape Breton community of Main-à-Dieu.
"For the first time in a long time, Scaterie Island looks as it should," said Transportation and Infrastructure Renewal Minister Geoff MacLellan. "I'd like to thank the Main-à-Dieu Community Association for their support and advocacy on this important project."
RJ MacIsaac, an Antigonish-based contractor, was awarded the $11.9-million contract to remove the ship. Once work began, an additional 32 tonnes of asbestos and more than 26,000 litres of diesel fuel was removed. The additional cost is still being finalized.
"If the wreck had been left to erode into the ocean, those containments would have permanently damaged the fragile and lucrative fishing grounds off the Scaterie coast," said Mr. MacLellan.
Mr. MacLellan also reiterated the federal government should help cover the additional cost of removing contaminants.
"Once we have a final cost for removal of contaminants from the vessel, I will be presenting those numbers to the federal government for help with the cost."
The next step will be to tear down the temporary camp and structures, including the jetty, which was established during the project. The contractor will schedule work around the fishing season.
"We are thrilled and relieved at the safe removal of the last remnants of the MV Miner from the shores of Scatarie Island -- soon to be a pristine wilderness once more," said Sean Howard, Main-à-Dieu Community Development Association. "For nearly four years, the community has lived in the shadow of the wreck, a blight and menace in the heart of our fragile marine ecology and vital lobster fishery."
The MV Miner was a bulk carrier that ran aground ago off the coast of Scaterie Island.